1. Using pencil, make thumbnail designs to express feelings/situations. Try to be abstract and expressionistic rather than realistically representational.
- Use only lines and simple shapes
- Address entire picture plane (whole square)
- Half dark and half white
Sketch three treatments of each of the following:
- Water Flowing
- Starlight or Sunlight
- Energy / Power
- Car Crash or War (without showing cars, etc.)
2. Using color pencil, create color studies of your best 3 designs. Draw at least two versions (two color schemes) of each (For a total of at least 6 color studies.).
3. Using the Pen Tool of Adobe Illustrator, in an EPS file consisting of three 8" x 8" artboards, make 3 awesome, refined, finished versions of your best color design(s).
- Use Layers and Sublayers
- Use the Pen Tool to create geometric and organic shapes
- Include Gradients.
- Include Transparencies or different Color Modes.
- Add additional Details and Effects (that were not in the thumbnail sketches or color studies) to intensify/exaggerate the feeling/concept.
2. Print (and prepare for display) the EPS of the best square design
3. Format and turn in your work in 3 file formats:
- EPS (the original working file)
- TIF (a photographic version of your image, flattened, RGB, 300 ppi at printing size)
- JPG (for websites and emails, 72 ppi, 12 inches high)