Create a strong design that uses both your full name and a quote, phrase, or slogan that tells us something about you. Apply all your knowledge about good design to make the artwork as dynamic and visually interesting as possible. Do your best to make this a thoughtful and careful finished artwork.
Focus on the following:
- Interesting Lettering
- Break up the entire picture plane (Design fills the page.)
- Decorative/Ornamental/Visually exciting (Pattern?)
- High Contrast - Approx. equal amounts dark and light
- Consider the best approach/process
Tip: Draw multiple thumbnail sketches to test out different designs.
Project Length: Four days
Size: 8 ½ x 11”
Media: Black ink (Sharpies and felt tip pens)
- Decide on slogan or quote.
- Make at least 4 thumbnail sketches
- Then develop one of those sketches into an actual-sized rough draft before transferring and refining an inked showpiece on tagboard.
- Design (Visual Impact, Effective Use of Elements and Principles of Art)
- Technical Quality (“Finished”)
- Studio Work Habits
This is a pre-assessment to find out what you already know, and I will be observing and taking notes on your work habits and your process, your final work, and your participation in the final critique of student work. By jotting down brief notes on how each of you approaches the project, I will gain a better sense of your strengths and of how you could grow throughout the year.
As the measuring tool, I will be using this rubric:
Rubric: Art Studio Habits of Mind