-- Shepard Fairey
Overview/Agenda for this week:
You will complete your "Power of One" Self Portrait Vector Drawing by the end of the period on exam day. As part of this, you will independently print the image and submit three converted files to the class server folder. Your midyear exam grade will be an average of all your work from this semester.
1. Demonstration/Tutorial: Using the Type Tool and Character Palette
2. Brainstorm words/phrases related to theme: The Power of One
In your very short phrase, try to do one or more of the following:
- Offer guidance
- Convey the power of the individual to affect change
- Make a statement about what you really believe/feel personally
3. Continue "Power of One" Self Portrait Vector Drawing (Due Tuesday. January 16)
Shift your attention from "figure" (self) to "ground" (environment)
- The border and background should be
- well-drawn, and
- visually related to the figure.
- Must include word(s) or short phrase related to the theme of The Power of One.
- Must draw and integrate design elements to add visual flair:
- Refer to Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Shepard Fairey, Kehinde Wiley
OBJECTIVES / GRADING CRITERIA:
- CHIAROSCURO (“light and dark” to create illusion of three-dimensionality - 3D)
- Convey mood and meaning graphically --
Express The Power of One as a visual statement
- Draw skillfully by mastering the pen tool
- Organize digital illustration using layers and sublayers.
- Explore and experiment with line and shape for well-drawn border/background.
- Unify “Figure” and “Ground” through style, shape, and color choices
- Integrate shapes and words through skillful use of type tools
- Independently convert files to EPS, TIF, and JPG
- Independently print image to fit paper