Using the Type Tools and Layer Styles of Adobe Photoshop, create two treatments of a type-based graphic for a band that can be used for a CD cover, a T-shirt, or a button. It should include the band’s name and an album title, and the style and color should be appropriately expressive. THIS IS NOT AN ALBUM COVER, JUST THE GRAPHIC.
Alternatively, you may create the title-art graphic for a video game. This should include a title and subtitle.
The graphic must:
- Be self-contained -- The graphic itself is a beautiful shape
- Combine type plus shapes
- Alter the type - Not just downloaded and dropped in
- Look three-dimensional - Imply depth
- Use Layer Styles in Photoshop
- Have texture (Use the Texturizer in the Filter Gallery)
- Be 300 pixels/inch at printable size
- Experiment with the type tools (horizontal type tool, vertical type tool, type mask tool)
- Experiment with the shape tool
- Experiment with layer styles
- Experiment with filters.
- Rasterize and transform type
- Use all of the above to create heightened visual impact.
- Adobe Photoshop (You may begin your work in Illustrator, but elements will need to be modified and refined in Photoshop)
Format as follows:
- Width: 10 inches
- Height: 7.5 inches
- Resolution: 300 pixels/inch (Important: A lower resolution will result in a printed image of poorer quality.)
- Color Mode: RGB
- If you would like to work beyond these limitations (for example: work larger than letter-size) consult Mr. Ratkevich.
- Don't just download special fonts. Convert fonts to outlines, then modify them to make them distinctive and unique.
- Include other design elements (shapes, outlines, textures, layer styles)
- Work Habits
- Skill with all the tools and methods listed above (type tools, layer styles, rasterize, transform)
- Experimentation / Exploration
- Design / Visual Impact