(n) The dark shape and outline of someone or something visible against a lighter background
synonyms:outline, contour(s), profile, form, shape, figure, shadow
Using Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop, create an expressive composition featuring silhouettes that tell part of a story in an emotional or dramatic way.
Digital Photography, and Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop
- Come up with an idea that is moody, dramatic, emotional, active, etc. Brainstorm and draw thumbnail sketches to develop your ideas.
- Take a series of good, sharp photos of action shots of your peers posing. The more active, the better
- Using Illustrator or Photoshop, trace from one or more of the photos.
- Arrange your traced drawings to maximize visual and emotional impact and to tell your story clearly.
- Add layers, colors, textures, details, and effects as necessary. Experiment.
Objectives / Criteria:
Clear Communication of Story
Expressiveness via Color, Shapes, Style, Arrangement
Image has Visual Impact
Effective Use of Positive and Negative Relationships
Clear Understanding of Principles of Art
Skillful use of tools of Illustrator and/or Photoshop
Inventive experimentation with technique
WORK HABITS / PERSONAL INVESTMENT
- All parts must be entirely original -- You MUST take photos of you and your peers (using your iPad, camera, or digital camera) specifically for this project
- If using Photoshop, document must be at least 8 x 10 inches and at least 300 pixels/inch.
- Do not use text.
- Have ideas before you leave to take photographs.
- Faces and figures in perfect profile will best convey as much information as possible.
- Take photos in front of simple backdrops with no detail. It will be easier to trace them.
- The more active and emotional the pose, the better. Be dramatic. Use body language.
- Take action photos outside on a sunny day or under bright light. Action photos will be crisper and more in focus.
- Take many, many photos.